Weather & Clothing
Spring in Kazan is from April-May. During this time, the sky is blue, cloudless and sunny, and trees, grass and flowers are in full bloom. Days are warm, though they can sometimes get very hot (+15+22 C), but at night, temperatures drop (0 to +5 C). Spring is the perfect time to explore the area and go sightseeing.
Summer is from June-August. During this time, it is usually very hot, especially in July (+30+35 C), but visitors can also experience rain, storms or hail. Summer is wonderful weather for a range of outdoor activities, such as fishing, hiking, cycling, and swimming, which can be enjoyed in lakes and rivers.
September is a very picturesque time of year, and temperatures are still warm during the day (+15+25 C). As the month’s end approaches, it begins getting colder.
Autumn in Kazan takes place in October and November. During this time, it is very cold (0 to +5 C), and the streets are often very wet, making autumn less than ideal for sightseeing.
Early winter begins with the first snow usually occurring in December and tends to last until mid-February. While it’s very cold during this time of year (-15 to -5 C), it’s also very beautiful, as a blanket of snow covers everything. This time of year is especially enjoyable for those that are interested in skiing, skating and mountain skiing. The Russian New Year is also celebrated during this time, with vodka, sledge driving and visits to the Russian Banya (Sauna).
Latest winter is incredibly cold (-30 to -15 C) and windy. We recommend during this time of year, that you escape somewhere warm!
Due to the various temperatures and weather throughout the year, we strongly advise that you take warm clothes if you plan to stay between November and April. Swimming season starts in May or early June, so a swimsuit would be beneficial during this time. September is the perfect time to take in the colorful and picturesque autumn.
The climate is moderate-continental, and includes occasional droughts. During January, the coldest month of the year, the average temperature is -13C, and in July, the warmest month of the year, the average temperature is +19C. The average precipitation per year is between 460-520 mm, and the vegetation period tends to last for approximately 170 days.
Other useful things to bring & remember
- Warm clothing. With the varying temperatures and weather, we recommend you bring at least one warm coat, a jumper, cardigan and jacket. Students from warmer climates may have a difficult time finding cold-weather items at home. In these cases, we recommend bringing money with you to purchase warm clothing in Russia.
- Things from home and mementos that are special. These will become especially important as you adjust to life in your new home.
- We encourage you to bring your favorite books or music.
- If you plan to bring a laptop, tablet, camera, or other valuable, we encourage you to bring these items in your carry-on luggage, and not in your checked bag.
- In additional to valuable items, we recommend that in your carry-on, you bring enough personal articles to last for your first night in Russia. Should your luggage get lost or delayed, this will ensure that you are able to make it through the night comfortably.
- It’s very important that your luggage is properly and clearly labeled in English or Russian.