Remarkable dates in the history of the university
- November 5, 1804 Emperor Alexander I gives out his royal command to open a university in Kazan
- May 2, 1814 Opening of the faculty of Medicine at the Kazan University
- 1837 Anatomical theatre is built
- 1840 University clinic opens
- 1858 Physiology laboratory begins to work
- 1893 “Neurology Newsletter” is founded
- 1900 Clinical unit sets off and bacteriological institute opens on the basis of medical faculty
- 1901 “Kazan Medical Journal” is founded
- 1930 Faculty of Prophylactic Medicine opens
- 1932 Pediatric faculty is founded
- 1954 Dental faculty opens
- 1975 Pharmaceutical faculty begins to function
- 1991 Faculty of Social Work is founded
- 1994 Faculty of Management and Graduate Nursing opens
Clinical training is performed at 54 units of the Ministry of Public Health of Russian Federation. There are 33 general hospitals, outpatient departments, 21 polyclinics, maternity houses, dental polyclinics, etc. The total number of beds is 8,600. There are 4,315 therapeutic, 2,120 – pediatric, 1,210 – surgical and 440 – gynecological beds.
The basic branches of the departments of pediatric faculty are the investigations of the age peculiarities of pathology and normal state of child. They work out the problems of adaptive possibilities of children, immunological reactivity in acute and chronic inflammatory diseases, diagnosis and endotoxicosis treatment in childhood and micro ecology of child.
The departments of therapy perform scientific research work in the fields of prophylactics and effective treatment of cardiovascular diseases. The priority trends are the investigations of the pathogenesis membrane mechanisms of hypertension, atherosclerosis, myocardial infraction and rheumatoid arthritis.
Surgical departments are the leaders of Russian medicine in the field of laser surgery and endosurgery.
Regional center of cardiovascular surgery is formed in one of the departments of the university.
The faculty of prophylactic medicine deals with the problems of ecology, environmental pollution in oil fields. They created the program of training doctor-ecologist for all medical institutions of Russia.
There are hospitals, maternity houses, special diagnostic centers, out-patient units and 20 polyclinics including dental and children’s. Clinical units have 8,600 beds. University dental polyclinic has 98 dental chairs. Republican and 8 city centers of sanitation and epidemiological control with the specialized departments and laboratories are used for teaching the students of prophylactic medicine faculty.
Pharmaceutical faculty uses for training its students 65 pharmacies with the laboratories in State, 18 pharmacies in Chyvachia and some commercial pharmaceutical units.
The academic research work of the university covers a wide range of areas in clinical elaboration, including: the problems of physiology and pathology of the cardiovascular system; diagnostics and treatment of malignant neoplasm; age peculiarities of child’s organism in the normal state and pathological; solving of the modern problems of dental diseases; problems in diagnostics and prophylactic of infectious diseases; development of the scientific care of women’s illnesses, mothers, fetus and newborn; hygiene of labor; and the basics of pharmacy.
Traditionally, the most strongly developed scientific areas at the university are the fundamental developments. The scientific groups of neurophysiological laboratories of the departments of physiology, medical physics and histology work on the highest European level. During the last year, we’ve obtained priority data for the mechanism of release of the mediator in the neuromuscular synapse, its interaction with postsynaptic membrane, peculiarities of neuron structure and functioning.
In addition, the department of biochemistry, headed by academician D. Zubairov, created and proved the theory of continued blood coagulation and worked out technology of getting human blood preparations for clinical tests. This work was recognized by the State premium of the Russian Federation. The premium and diploma was given by the Academy of Science to recognize the program “Blood circulation in the brain.” The university also received State premiums in the areas of science and technology for physiology and pharmacology, 5 premiums VDNH, medals from Check Academy of Science named after I. Gavki and Y. Purkinie for the achievements in biophysics, premiums from the European and Russian linguistic competitions for introducing the theory of the convergent development of languages of the euro-american area, as well as the encouragement premium from the Fund of Soros.
The department of pharmacology, with the help of chemical laboratories, elaborated and approbated medicine from phosphororganic compounds. They are now investigating pharmacological characteristics of some antiblastomic preparations.
During the last few years, the university has developed and introduced into the clinical practice the following preparations “Ksimedon”, “Fibronektin”, “Fosphobenzid”, “Glizifon”, “Mefopran”, “Tetramezin”, and ‘Bacterial ribonucleasa”.
Members of the staff participate in the development of six international programs. For the last five years more than 200 reports were presented at the international conferences, symposiums and conferences (France, Germany, Turkey, Switzerland, Check Republic, England, USA, Holland, Italy, France, China). And the university is extensively developing academic contacts with scientists in USA, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Check Republic and France.
There are three scientific councils that supervise the process of defending the thesis in 9 specializations: internal diseases, cardiology, hygiene, pediatrics, pathological physiology, normal physiology, dentistry, pharmaceutics, and organization of healthcare.
The student scientific society works regularly and is quite active. Special scholarships named after remarkable scientists of the Kazan medical school are given out to distinguished students.
One of the main activities of the university is the development of international relations, which helps establish the international status of the university, strengthen mutually beneficial relationships with academic, scientific and medical organizations of other countries, as well as the integration of the university in the international system of higher medical education and medical help.
During the last few years, the university actively participated in the international projects IREX – USAID and TEMPUS. The professors and chief residents from Yale University visit each year to give lectures in “evidence-based medicine”.
Since 1995, we have been a member of the International Association of Medical Students and our fourth-sixth year students have their summer practice in Europe, Africa and Latin America. The international club “Medical student” was organized in 1996.
Many departments of the university have their direct contacts with different scientific and clinical institutions in Europe, Asia, and America.
The university library has more than one million scientific and teaching literature books. It also has 354 foreign and 254 Russian scientific medical journals subscriptions.